In another milestone, the High Court of Telangana witnessed its centenary celebrations on Saturday, completing 100 years of a rich legacy. Located in Hyderabad, the High Court building stands tall on the banks of the Musi River and is a work of architectural brilliance from the Nizam era.
The High Court building, built in pink and white granite, attracts the attention of the locals and tourists alike as they cross the Musi. The imposing domes are visible from as far as the Naya Pul Bridge and provide an impressive view during sunset. It is one of the oldest and finest buildings in the city, reminiscent of the Saracenic style of architecture, a revival architectural style that was used during the British rule in India to build public and government buildings.
Even though the structure and style of the building is similar to many other Indo-Sarcenic structures in the country – Chatrapati Shivaji Terminal, Gateway of India, Victoria Memorial – the High Court building must be acknowledged a work of exquisite craftsmanship by architects in India. The plan for the building was drawn by Shankarlal of Jaipur and was executed by Mehar Ali Fazil, a local architect. It took three years to complete the construction of the entire structure and it was finally inaugurated by the seventh and last Nizam of Hyderabad, Mir Osman Ali Khan.
Spread over nine acres, the High Court building was inaugurated by Mir Osman Ali Khan, the Seventh Nizam of Hyderabad, on April 20, 1920.
A model of the building, etched on a 300-kg silver sheet, was presented to the Nizam, and is now on display at the Purani Haveli Museum in Hyderabad.
As tall as the building are the services its occupiers have provided with distinction to generations of people of Hyderabad State, then Andhra Pradesh, and now also of Telangana.