E-cigarette explodes in man’s pants at NYC’s Grand Central

80afcffa-6f63-41b9-bad9-ccedeafb0223-large16x9_1280x720_60505p00ufjjv

Officials say a man shopping in New York’s Grand Central Terminal suffered leg and hand burns when an e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket.

Central Cellars employee John Lee says it looked like fireworks exploding when the vaporizer pen suddenly blew up in the man’s pants Wednesday morning.

1479923594029

Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Aaron Donovan says the man was taken by a private ambulance service to a hospital. He says the injuries appeared minor.

Donovan says train service at the transit hub wasn’t affected.

Electronic cigarettes and other battery-operated electronic smoking devices occasionally do catch fire.